Sunday, November 15, 2015

update bios without battery

I want to update BIOS to new version. While the update process executes, was given an error.
The error is : the battery must be charged above 10 before the system bios can be flashed
enter image description here
My equipment is:
    Laptop DELL Inspiron N5110
    Windows Technical Preview  
    Processor:   Intel I7 – 2630QM @2.00GHz   
    RAM      :   4 GB 
    OS       :   64-bit

The laptop's battery is dead. Is there a way to passing this step?
Answer > Update: 
Oh yeah, and do make sure to use the latest upgrade. In your error screenshot above I can see you’re using an older update.
I suggest you use Rufus to create a MS-DOS-bootable USB drive and then run the upgrade from DOS. Of course, you’ll have to copy the update to the USB drive as well.
Rufus settings should be set as following:
enter image description here
Then, after booting from the USB drive, simply start the flash program:
enter image description here
Then, follow the steps the flash program walks you through.
Like the others said, you might want to try the /ForceIt parameter. With a slash, not a dash. ;)

Answer:

  1. Download the latest firmware from the Dell support
  2. Save the exe and create a shortcut with the following parameter: " /writehdrfile"
  3. Start the created shortcut and it will create a n5110a11.hdr file rename the file to N5110.hdr
  4. Create a shortcut exe file with the following parameter: " /writeromfile"
  5. Start the created shortcut and it will create a n5110a11.rom file rename the file to DQ15A11.rom
  6. Copy both file N5110.hdr and DQ15A11.rom to a FAT formatted pendrive's root folder
  7. Remove the charger and Battery from the laptop
  8. Plug In the pendrive
  9. Press & hold END
  10. Connect the charger (still hold END)
  11. The notebook starts automatically and shows the recovery screen
  12. Press enter and wait until finish the flashing
  13. Press esc to restart
  14. Hopefully problem solved

2 comments:

  1. I have the same problem but a Dell Inspiron 5555. I couldn't get the first part (the bootable USB) to work. So, I am trying to follow the part after ANSWER above. Since I have a different model number, what should I do for the file naming conventions of the .hdr and .rom files? Note, the current BIOS version for my model is "A12". Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I beg ya pardon I am stuck at step 2? How on the earth to create the shortcut with parameter? I tried everything.

    Thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete